Temple Israel of the City of New York
We are inclusive, pluralistic synagogue, affiliated with the URJ, founded in 1870 as a highly participatory, warm and caring congregation that attempts to open its doors wide. Our goal is to allow anyone who wishes to identify with these values in a Jewish context to find a home at Temple Israel - spiritually, educationally, culturally with the hope that Jewish experiences will enrich their heart, mind and soul.
Programs We Offer to Open Our Tent
- Interfaith Couples Group/Counseling/Events > "December Dilemma" Discussions
- "Taste of Judaism"
- "The Mothers Circle"
- Adult Education
- Beginner Hebrew Classes
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender (GLBT)
- Holiday How-To Workshops
- Interfaith Couples Group/Counseling/Events
- Introduction to Judaism/"Derekh Torah"
- Beginner Hebrew Classes > Learners Shabbat
- Multiracial and Jews of Color
- Parents of Intermarried
- PJ Library
- Preparation for Conversion/Post-Conversion
- Single Parents
- Young Adults
- LIfe Lights & other greeting materials; every prospective member is invited to meet w/Rabbi &/or other clergy; Tot Shabbat; Kidz Shabbat; welcoming family programs; Membership Open Houses
Rabbi David J. Gelfand